We’re always looking for new and exciting ways for guests to experience incredible wilderness regions and, with the recent confirmation of a permanent site in the Mara Triangle which will see the Wild Eye Mara Camp running from July to December, this safari was a no brainer.
Whilst there are a number of itineraries which currently visit Amboseli National Park (namely Big Cats & Tuskers, Exclusive Amboseli & Tsavo, Exclusive Amboseli and Lake Nakuru), none combine Amboseli and the Masai Mara like this itinerary does.
Spending time in an area is important to me as it not only affords guests the opportunity to really see and experience various aspects of a destination, but it allows one to get to grips with the ebb and flow of the region and allow as time to sit and spend quality time in each and every sighting, rather than feeling rushed to see what else is out there. This couldn’t be more true for both Amboseli and the Mara Triangle.
Our journey on the Amboseli & Masai Mara photo safari begins in Nairobi where we will board a flight from Wilson Airport to Amboseli National Park and the Serena Hotel. The fragile ecosystem of the Amboseli National Park hosts an incredible spectacle of wildlife and African landscapes and is where the first 5 nights of the safari will be spent. Amboseli will allow us the time to photograph the massive herds of elephants as they make their daily trek into the swamps to feed. What makes this even more special is that fact that Mount Kilimanjaro forms the backdrop for almost every image, providing incredible photographic opportunities.
Having our own vehicles and local guides means we do not have to stick to lodge game drives times and can spend our time in search of sightings in the scenic Amboseli National Park between sunrise and sunset. All meals, apart from a few picnic lunches or packed breakfasts, will be enjoyed at the Serena Lodge which will be our home base for the duration of our time in Amboseli.
Aside from the two main swamps in the region, we will also spend time on the iconic dry lake bed of Lake Amboseli. This area requires a bit of time in order to really get the most out of it from a photographic perspective as the number of game species and elephant herds seen out on the lake bed is never guaranteed. When it all comes together thought its an incredible experience to be able to sit and watch a herd approach on an open stage set beneath a blanket of ever changing cloud formations.
Whilst elephants will undoubtedly take centre stage during our time in Amboseli the concentration of general game species will provide some incredible photographic opportunities along the way.
On the morning of day 6 we will depart Amboseli by air, flying directly into the Mara triangle Conservancy where we will then make our way to the Wild Eye Mara camp located on the banks of the Mara River.
The Mara Triangle has been named “The Worlds Best game Reserve” and it deserves the title. One of the world’s most iconic destinations, the Masai Mara teems with wildlife and is one of the best wildlife photography destinations in the world.
The small and intimate Wild Eye Mara camp will be our base for the 6 nights spent exploring the region.
During this time we will focus on the big cats and large herds of general game that move across this landscape throughout the year. Whilst the migratory herds may still be in the region, there will be more than enough incredible photographic opportunities on offer even without the wildebeest!
Once again, having our own vehicles and local guides means we do not have to stick to lodge game drives times and can spend our time in search of sightings in the Mara Triangle between sunrise and sunset.
We will enjoy packed breakfasts out in the field each day to allow us to explore as much of the region and spend as much time in the field as possible before returning to camp to download and recharge in the Media Tent.
Guests will also enjoy the opportunity to interact with our team of Maasai staff during their 6 nights in the Wild Eye Mara camp enjoying a traditional Maasai Evening on the final night of the safari.
Our time on the Amboseli & Masai Mara photo safari comes to an end on the afternoon of day 12 when we bid farewell to the open plains of the Mara and fly back to Nairobi.
In summary, here are some of the highlights of the safari itinerary:
- Starts and Ends at Jomo Kenyatta International
- 5 Nights Amboseli Serena Safari Lodge
- 6 Nights at the Wild Eye Mara Camp
- Maximum of 6 guests split across 2 Toyota Landcruisers
- Additional Freight seat included to increase wight restrictions to 30kg’s per guest
- Includes Scenic Flights from Nairobi to Amboseli, Amboseli to the Masai Mara and Masai Mara to Nairobi
- Day 1: Fly Nairobi to Amboseli, overnight Amboseli Serena
- Day 2: Overnight Amboseli Serena and full day Amboseli
- Day 3: Overnight Amboseli Serena and full day Amboseli
- Day 4: Overnight Amboseli Serena and full day Amboseli
- Day 5: Overnight Amboseli Serena and full day Amboseli
- Day 6: Morning flight from Amboseli to Mara Serena, Overnight Wild Eye Mara Camp
- Day 7: Overnight Wild Eye Mara Camp and full day Mara Triangle Conservancy
- Day 8: Overnight Wild Eye Mara Camp and full day Mara Triangle Conservancy
- Day 9: Overnight Wild Eye Mara Camp and full day Mara Triangle Conservancy
- Day 10: Overnight Wild Eye Mara Camp and full day Mara Triangle Conservancy
- Day11: Overnight Wild Eye Mara Camp and full day Mara Triangle Conservancy
- Day 12: Half day Mara Triangle Conservancy and afternoon flight back to Nairobi
Share this Post
View the Full Safari Itinerary
Whilst a number of our other photo safaris combine Amboseli & Masai Mara, this is the first safari which is dedicated exclusively to these two iconic game viewing destinations in Kenya.More Info