Private Guided Safaris
A private guided safari with Wild Eye is without a doubt the best way to travel through Africa and enjoy a holistic wildlife and photographic experience.
With more than 50 years of combined experience in the guiding and hospitality industries our team of specialist photographic safari guides will assist you with not only planning and conceptualising your dream safari but also personally guide you throughout the itinerary to ensure that your nature experience is about you.
Whether your focus is on wildlife photography or you are more interested in an interpretive nature experience a Wild Eye private guide will add a relaxed professional and unique dimension to your safari.
At Wild Eye our aim is to change the way our clients see the world and on a private guided safari you can be assured that this is the case.
Benefits of a Private Guided Safari with Wild Eye
- Peace of mind: From the moment you start planning your private safari until you say goodbye your private guide will be there every step of the way to make sure sure you don’t have to worry about anything other than enjoying your experience.
- Continuity: Whether you are traveling to different destinations or you are returning for a second or third safari the continuity provided by a private guide will make for a much more enjoyable and in depth wildlife experience.
- Company: You decide how many people you would like to travel with – either just yourself or travel with good friends and family – the choice is yours.
- Choice: Your private guide will work with you to customise everything from the level of accommodation to the destination and areas to visit in order to maximise the potential to see and photograph the key species on your list.
- Collaboration: Having all worked at and guided at 5-star lodges our guides understand the importance of collaborating with the local guide and lodge staff in order to create and mould your perfect safari.
- Accessibility: You will have access to your guide throughout your safari so you won’t have to wait until game drive time to ask questions on wildlife and photography.
- Education: Whatever your level of photography you can be assured of leaving your Wild Eye private guided safari with new skills, techniques and inspiration. All our guides are involved in our various photography courses and workshops and this forms a part of the offering on every private safari.
- Time: Having the time to focus on the sightings and experiences that you want to focus is priceless and your guide will assist in maximising these moments in the field.
- Qualified: Every one of the Wild Eye private guides are qualified and experienced in the guiding and hospitality industries – something we are truly proud of and believe makes a difference to the value they bring to your safari.
- Fun: The Wild Eye ethos has always revolved around the enjoyment of the safari experience and when you mix this with a relaxed professionalism and true passion for nature you can be assured of an incredible and fun adventure with more than a few laughs.
A private guided safari with Wild Eye is about more than just a trip to Africa.
It is an experience that will not only leave you wanting more but will also give you an in depth understanding and appreciation for the wild and beautiful places of Africa.
A Wild Eye private guided safari is about you and we look forward to changing the way you see the world.
Wild Eye’s Private Guides
Very few people can tell you what their passion in life is. Even fewer will be able to tell you that what they do for a living is in fact their passion. I was very fortunate that my love for the bush and conservation took me on journey which would not only allow me to explore the continent which fascinates me so much, but to share my passion for photography and conservation with others.
I believe that my unique background and experience in conservation and field guiding provides a wealth of information extending beyond just that of photography, adding to each and every one of the photographic safaris I lead.
I look forward to sharing my passion for wildlife & photography with you.
Gerry van der Walt
I am a specialist photographic guide, educator and co-founder of Wild Eye.
By combining a passion for nature photography with my education and more than 15 years experience as a field guide my goal is to not only assist people, whether through teaching them new skills or pushing them creatively, in capturing the beauty of nature but also to create an awareness of the fragile balance that exists in nature.
I believe that my photography speaks for itself and my goal it to keep on creating images that will keep an awareness of our planet’s natural heritage in people’s minds while at the same time, through the various Wild Eye safaris that I help conceptualise and host, share the privilege of being out in the unspoilt wilderness area that Africa is so well-known for.
Through Wild Eye I have created a vehicle which merges the raw beauty of traveling in Africa with the ability to not only capture these moments on camera but also teaching and inspiring people along the way.
Marlon du Toit
Passion, enthusiasm and an unquenchable thirst to explore and introduce people to the wonders of wildlife perfectly sums up my ambitions. I can’t imagine doing anything else.
Thanks to a deep love for nature and photography, instilled by my dad at a young age, I grew up with the constant desire to be as close as possible to wildlife. I followed through with my childhood ambitions and worked within the professional guiding industry for nine years as a lodge-based ranger, and at times a travel photographer. I recently completed six years of full-time guiding for the world-renowned Singita Game Reserve, gaining crucial skills not only within the field but also hosting guests.
My intention has never been solely for recognition but for the plight of what’s left of our natural recourses. Using my love and understanding of wildlife I am able to convey to the viewer more than an image or a fleeting moment – I bring that moment alive, telling a beautiful story in the process.
Johan van Zyl
As a teenager Johan used to travel to Uganda during the School holidays, where his parents work and lived for 12 years. His time spent tracking Gorilla’s on foot, exploring Lake Victoria and meeting different cultures is what fueled his passion and desire to work in the bush.
After completing his Field Guide course at Ulovane Environmental Training, Johan proceeded to Guide and manage properties all over Southern Africa including Madikwe, Zambia and Bostwana for the past 10 years. During this time Johan developed a passion for photography, and sharing that passion with like minded people.
Johan joined the Wild-Eye team in April 2016 and will be running our Nelspruit branch.
Haunted by the allure of spectacular wildlife and African sunsets. I am a hunter-gatherer of natural light and candid moments, an appetite whet with a taste of the unknown and the smell of home; “This Is Africa”!
My passion for the bush and everything that comes with it started as far back as I can remember. Thanks to my parents who introduced me to wilderness areas at a very young age, I managed to live my dream by obtaining a background in conservation and being a “lodge based ranger” for the past four years, working in world-renowned places such as the Timbavati and Sabi Sands Private Game Reserves. Through this I have not only gained abundant knowledge of the environment but also acquired brilliant people skills.
I am now ready for a new adventure to not only share my knowledge of the wide range of fauna and flora but also to share my photography knowledge with everyone to ensure that they to can capture that special moment for eternity.
Capturing those unique moments out in the field are one of the most thrilling experiences, knowing that you are sharing that space with the wild animals, earning their trust, documenting their beauty and behavior, one cannot deny the fact that it is a very unique feeling and worth the experience time and time again.
Something special happens deep in the heart of the wilderness, so come and join me! Experience the wonders of the African bush!
I left a corporate career in pursuit of a burning passion for the great outdoors and all things wilderness.
Following a relatively short professional guiding career, I arrived at the realisation that my true passion was for adventure and wildlife photography. It is in this pursuit of adventure, that I would like to continue to share my passion for photography with others.
I look forward to changing the way you see the world.
Having Grown up in White River which then was a small town in the Lowveld, I have had an inner burning desire to pursue my passion and love for wildlife. From a young age I was guided by my family who shares the same passion for the natural world as I do. Frequently visiting wilderness areas from a young age instilled a deep craving to explore and learn more about the bush. Once I left school I began my journey to becoming a guide and following my dream.
I have been a field guide for the past 9 years, starting out in the Western Cape and then returning to the lowveld where I spent my last 4 years spend at Londolozi Game Reserve where I gained invaluable experience and had the opportunity to learn about myself as an individual.
Through my love for wildlife it has kick started my passion for photography and has allowed me to grow and pursue it as a career.
Combining an array of different elements such as safaris, photography, being one with nature and sharing experiences with others is something I have really enjoyed doing and looking forward to continuing it on this new and exciting chapter.
I am a professional Field Guide, Conservationist and Photographic Safari Guide.
From a young age my passion for wildlife and conservation burned bright and were constantly fed by different experiences and people in my life. After completing a National Diploma in Nature Conservation in 2001 I started my bush career in conservation. After 6 years I changed my path to include the tourism side of the industry. My wife and I moved to the Madikwe Game Reserve where I have been guiding and managing lodges for the last 10 years. In 2007 my passion for photography flamed up when one of my guests gave me a camera and from that day onwards my passion for wildlife photography just grew.
With my wealth of bush knowledge and now also photographic skills I am really looking forward to hosting you and changing the way you see the world.
Share this page with a friend who might enjoy a private guided experience!